Part 1: Analysis of Context
1. What do we know about our learners?
Exceptional learning…Exceptional learners!
- Flourish in a personalized learning environment with small class sizes of 15:1 student teacher ratio;
- Enjoy the flexible scheduling we offer. Students focus for 3 hour sessions taking 2 courses at a time. This schedule allows for a concentrated effort on student studies and success for the student;
- Value positive relationships with teachers. Students view teachers as learning facilitators and mentors who they can connect with on an individual level;
- Appreciate the opportunity to work at their own rate. This deepens the learning, promotes in learners a sense of ownership, and reduces the level of stress associated with having to meet imposed deadlines.
2. What evidence supports what we know about our learners?
- We are a small secondary school providing educational opportunities for students
- Relationships with students are central to encouraging students to engage with their learning and become part of the school community thus fostering social, emotional, academic or intellectual.
Part 2: Focus and Planning
3. What focus emerges as a question to pursue?
How do we better engage and enhance the holistic growth of our students?
4. What professional learning do we need?
- Information on how to impact student awareness of what a healthy learning community is
- Information regarding how to help students set boundaries around the use of technology
- Information on mental health and how we can best support and help those impacted
- Options to increase participation in physical activity
5. What is our plan?
Monitor attendance for each student setting up processes
Place students on attendance/performance contracts if 3 unexcused absences or if student is lagging behind on goal sheet
Set goals in each course for each student
Build a positive community within the school setting
Work closely with parents/students/community to access services required for individual students
Part 3: Reflect, Adjust, Celebrate
6. How will we know our plan is making a difference? (evidence / success criteria)
- Course completions for each student to take place within 14 weeks or less.
- Regular attendance
- Engagement demonstrated by learners
- Students accessing supports available to them to foster healthy learning community
- Students taking opportunities afforded to them through partnerships, work experience, school field experiences,